What is BS OHSAS 18001?An Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Management System for managing health and safety activities and eliminating or reducing hazards within the workplace. Where an incident has occurred the system to investigate, analyse and identify any OHS&S deficiency.
What are the benefits of 18001 Certification?Health and Safety Legislation and Regulation require an organisation to prove that it has taken all necessary and reasonable steps to provide a healthy and safe environment in the workplace that minimises risks to people and interested parties.
This Standard provides such assurance. It is externally assessed and certificated.
What is covered by BS OHSAS 18001?This Standard requires 6 main sections to be addressed, these are:
- OH& S General requirements;
- OH&S Policy;
- Implementation & Operation;
- Management Review.
What documentation is required?A health and safety manual and procedures for operating the Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
Who can carry out the Assessment?There are a number of Certification Bodies Accredited by UKAS to carry out this work.
Once the certificate is issued what happens next?The certification authority will carry out surveillance visits each year to ensure continuing compliance
Sections of BS OHSAS 18001:2007
- Referenced Publications
- Terms and Definitions
- OHSAS Requirements
- General Requirements
- OH&S Policy
- Hazard identification, Risk Assessment and Determining Controls
- Legal and Other Requirements
- Objectives and Programme(s)
- OH&S Management Programme(s)
- Implementation and Operation
- Resources, Roles Responsibility, accountability and Authority
- Competence, Training and Awareness
- Communication, Participation and Consultation
- Control of Documents
- Operational Control
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
Performance Measurement and Monitoring
Evaluation of Compliance
Incident Investigation, Nonconformity, Corrective and Preventive Action
Control of Records
- Management Review