The Standard is useful to any organisation but will help large organisations comply with the ESOS (Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme) mandatory requirements.
The Environmental Agency, as Scheme Administrator for England, The Scottish Environmental Agency, Natural Resources Wales and the Northern Ireland Environmental Agency hold registers of all participants complying with the requirements.
All non SME organisations, those with 250+ employees or a turnover of €50m and a balance sheet exceeding €43m, must comply with ESOS. Publicly funded organisations are exempt.
Those failing to comply with this requirement by December 2015 face penalties up to £50, 000 for each non conformity plus other non-monetary penalties.
The areas of non-conformity include:
- Failure to notify the Scheme Administrator of compliance by the required date;
- And/or failure to provide basic details as part of notification;
- Failure to maintain adequate records to demonstrate compliance with ESOS;
- Failure to undertake an ESOS Assessment;
- Failure to comply with an enforcement, compliance or penalty notice;
- Making a statement which is false or misleading.
- General Requirements
- Management Responsibility
- Energy Policy
- Energy Planning
- Legal and other requirements
- Energy review, baseline and performance indicators
- Energy objectives, targets and action plans
- Implementation and Operation
- Competence , training and awareness
- Operational controls
- Procurement of energy services, products and energy
- Monitoring, measurement and analysis
- Evaluation of compliance with legal and other requirements
- Internal audit
- Non-conformities, corrective and preventive actions
- Control of records
- Management Review
- Improvement on Energy Performance